Watch the video below with a youth(s), then use the questions below to have a mentoring conversation with them.
- Could Gerald swim when he joined his school’s swim team?
- How bad was he when he first started swimming?
- How good can Gerald swim now?
- Gerald said, “If I couldn’t handle not being good at something, then how could I consider myself a successful person.” What did he mean by this?
- Can you handle not being good at something, because you are taking on a new challenge?
- Why does fear of failure cause people to not even try in the first place?
- What does the saying, “You have to crawl before you can walk and you have to walk before you can run,” mean?
- What is something that you want to learn but you have hesitated in learning it because you don’t want to fail or look foolish?
- How does this video change your mind about failure?